The Graduate College House Committee maintains some of the facilities available to residents of the College. These include laundry rooms, common areas, the Coffee House, certain things available at Porter’s Lodge, and DBar.
There are two laundry rooms in the Graduate College: The Old Graduate College (OGC) laundry room is located in the basement of the 15th entryway, and the New Graduate College (NGC) laundry room is located in the basement of the 34th entryway. The OGC laundry room contains 6 high-efficiency washers and 8 dryers and a big sink. The NGC laundry room contains 5 high-efficiency washers and 8 dryers.
All the washers and dryers are card-operated. You will receive a laundry card from Porter’s Lodge when you move in. Here’s info on how to add money to it and use it: Laundry-Smart-Card-Revalue-and-Use Instructions
Please leave the washer doors and detergent trays open when not in use to prevent mold and smells:
Please use the CSC ServiceWorks Service App to report dirty (moldy or smelling) and/or faulty machines. A step-by-step guide can be found here.
Lastly, if you find out that a machine is malfunctioning after it charges you, please submit refund requests through the website: https://www.cscsw.com/refund-request/. The app does not support refund requests.
- A common area in the OGC between Procter Hall and Porter’s Lodge with several couches and a fireplace for social gatherings (this is where we hold our weekly social hours!)
- We order firewood when the weather gets cold! It is stored in the fake fireplace (on the other side of the wall as the real fireplace) right outside the dining hall.
- A smaller common area in the NGC with a book exchange and an attached kitchen area
- A TV room in the OGC basement just outside the DBar:
- A TV room in the NGC in front of the common area with air conditioning (instructions for the TV rooms here: GC-tv-Room-Instructions)
- A games area with a pool table, a ping pong table, and vending machines between the DBar and the OGC TV room
- A music room in the NGC in front of the common area equipped with various musical instruments (ask Porter’s Lodge for the code to get in)
- The Van Dyke Library in OGC
In addition to these common areas, the Office of Information Technology also maintains two computer clusters in the Graduate College (one in OGC and one in NGC).
The GC Coffee House is an ideal place to study in a casual atmosphere. The Coffee House is located on the first floor of the 11th and 12th entryways of the OGC, open most nights from 8pm-midnight during the academic year. It’s subsidized by GC House dues, so the food and drinks are free! Available are a wide variety of freshly-brewed coffees (including espresso drinks and cappuccino), teas (including loose teas), as well as other hot drinks, juices, soda, and snacks. You may also find free chocolates! This is a popular spot for group study and quiet conversation, as well as weekend game nights.
Porter’s Lodge provides some important facilities for the Graduate College such as mailboxes, vacuum cleaners, bike pumps, and rental of DVDs/Blu-rays from the media center just outside Porter’s Lodge. If you would like to see any items added to the media center, please contact us.
The Debasement Bar (DBar) is a private club managed by the House Committee. It serves resident and non-resident members of the Graduate College House who are over 21 years of age. More info here!